Snowboard Division (SBINZ) – NZSIA Interski Team 2019
The snowboard side of the NZSIA Interski Team in Bulgaria 2019 will be made up of four team members; Claire Dooney, Leo Carey, Richie Johnston and Keith Stubbs.
We will be presenting both an indoor lecture and an on-snow clinic…
Bridging the Gap
With the global trend of instructor education systems focusing more on people skills, this on-snow clinic takes a look at how SBINZ have been bridging the gap between our hard and soft skills, i.e. one’s physical snowboarding ability and technical understanding combined with their aptitude for empathy, relatedness and understanding how students learn.
In this clinic we will explore:
- The difference between soft and hard skills
- Examples of core soft and hard skills throughout the SBINZ education system
- An opportunity for clinic attendees to focus on a different certification within SBINZ
- How SBINZ are bridging the gap between these two skill sets in our assessment processes
From Passion to Purpose
Instructors are generally very passionate about their jobs. As an industry of employers, trainers and educators, snowboard schools and teaching/coaching programmes, recognising how this passion first begins is crucial, as is understanding the value of purpose among instructors.
In this seminar we will explore:
- The roots of passion in snowboard instruction
- The factors that can enhance or limit one’s profession and purpose in the industry
- How SBINZ have been cultivating purpose to help shape our future in snow sports
SBINZ Resource Video Series
These resource videos were created to help build a deeper understanding on specific soft and hard skills addressed in SBINZ courses. They bring to life each topic and take a deeper look at each concept than what the SBINZ manual covers. See more of our videos on the SBINZ Vimeo account.
SBINZ Manual and Course Outlines
The SBINZ Manual is the cornerstone to all our courses and certifications. It is FREE to download for everyone right here…
- SBINZ Instructor’s Manual – full manual
- Introduction and Section A (Teaching and Learning)
- Section B (A Technical Understanding of Snowboarding)
- Sections C and D (Pathways and Progressions / Teaching Beginner Snowboarders)
- Section E (Teaching Intermediate Snowboarders)
- Section F (Teaching Advanced Snowboarders)
- Section G (Equipment and Glossary)
To understand the content covered in each of the SBINZ certifications, please refer to our course outlines below…
SBINZ Level Two Examiner, Committee Member, and mother of two, Claire has been teaching snowboarding since 2002 and has been part of the SBINZ Examining Staff since 2010.
SBINZ Level Three Examiner, Snowboard Trainer at Cardrona Alpine Resort and Snow School Manager at Nakiska Ski Resort in Canada, Leo has been teaching snowsports for 10 years and has been part of the SBINZ Examining Staff since 2014.
SBINZ Level Three Examiner and Trainer for Rookie Academy at Treble Cone Ski Area, Richie has been teaching snowboarding for 13 years and part of the SBINZ Examining Staff since 2008. This is Richie’s second time representing NZ at Interski.
SBINZ Level Three Examiner and the Snowboard Division Rep. on the NZSIA Board, Keith has been teaching snowboarding since 1999 and part of the SBINZ Examining Staff since 2008. This is Keith’s third time attending Interski.